Friday, June 28, 2013

Midwinter

Yuletide has arrived. 

Last year on the last day of Yuletide, I made an Oath, and looking back, I feel that I mostly fulfilled it, though I could have done a bit more. There were stumbling blocks in my way, from within and without, and generally speaking I think I did fairly well. I intend to make another Oath this year, but I don't know what. I've been thinking on it. Granted, it's not essential.... maybe if I can't think of anything, I won't make an Oath this year. But I like the idea, and it keeps me motivated.

I just don't want to make an Oath like, "I'll read the Eddur three times a week" or something and then fail to do that. I don't want to promise to do something I really think I'll just not manage to do, through forgetfulness or procrastination or whatever. But we'll see how it goes. I'm not the world's most motivated person.

Generally I've been very slack with my Yuletide celebrations. I haven't even held my Winter Solstice ritual yet for my Lord and Lady. Maybe I'll do that tonight. I don't have a clue why I've been so slack. Part of it may be that my body clock has flipped itself by about eight hours, so now I sleep like a normal person. Which is good! But for a week or so I was exhausted all the time. And then I had a bit of a cold, and there was a day I was hung over.... so... yeah. And I'm used to doing my rituals all after midnight, which isn't really an option any more, so I find myself running out of time - next thing I know I should be in bed. So there it is. I need to plan out my day a bit better. At least getting up in the morning means I feel more motivated overall.

Last night I bought myself this little book of prayers by Shanddaramon. I've had trouble finding prayer books I like, because many of them contain prayers that are very very basic conversational types of prayer, and what's the point in a prayer book if it contains no poetry? I am thinking of, for e.g., the Book of Hours or the Book of Common Prayer, beautiful little things containing prayers for the spiritual nourishment of the faithful. That's what I want. I had a little look inside, and for the most part I rather liked what Shanddaramon has written - and the ones that do not fit my religion can easily be modified, which is what the author intended. So, the book will soon be on its way, and I am looking forward to it.

And there are prayers for hours! you know - dawn, morning, noon, afternoon, evening, bedtime. That sort of thing. Now I've mentioned before how much I like the idea of monasticism insofar as rhythm and seclusion and meditation and so on goes, and this sort of thing is right up my alley. Short term, mind; I don't have the motivation to keep at something like that. But I was thinking, maybe for a week. For a week, I'll get up as early as I can, and read the prayers at the appropriate time of day. I'll let you know how it goes.

The weather is chilly. Some days I light the fire in the morning and sit by it all day, with both of the dogs beside me. Perfectly acceptable for winter - in fact it could stand to be colder. I like a cold winter. The sky can be blue or grey, so long as the air has a bite to it.

Winter is a knuckling-down time for me. So we'll see how things go.

3 comments:

  1. Well... the source being what it is and all... I came across this while I was looking for something else earlier today - http://www.paganbookofhours.org/

    Still the some of the prayers and listing of hours might be useful.

    What I was looking for was - "Book of Hours: Prayers to the Goddess" by Galen Gillotte (there's one for the Gods as well). It's got some interesting prayers in there, set up as daily (morning afternoon and evening), as well as some for specific holidays, full moons, and rites of passage type ones. Totally forgot I had that, when I was talking to you the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have the Gods one! But I feel like I can't do anything with it without its partner, you know? XD And the form the prayers take has a lot more.... there are three parts to each prayer and a meditation and so on and it involves a lot more editing to mesh it with my own "tradition".

      Ohhh, the Asphodel lot... they make me so uncomfortable. Thanks for the link though! I'll see how I go with the one winging its way to me :3

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I tried doing some of the Goddess ones for a while, and it was definitely a something that could easily take up some time.

    That's why I was hesitant to link it, but figured maybe there'd still be some small bits worth a look.

    ReplyDelete