Tuesday, October 18, 2011

An article for your perusal

As I haven't posted in a little while, I thought I'd spread the word on an article someone linked me to on the NaNoWriMo forums.

Abortion Is Not Murder.

It's a rather good discussion on pre-birth development, personhood, moral actions and the bible. I recommend giving it a read. On the down side, the author assumes all Christians are pro-life and aggressively so, which is untrue. I'd venture to say most Christians don't behave as poorly as he implies. It's a great shame because of the quality of the rest of the article; I can only imagine its tone is such because of the over-arching theme of the website.

It's timely, because of a rather disturbing law that has recently passed the House in America. It's not going to pass the Senate and President Obama may well veto it if he has to, but it's a disturbing bill: it means a hospital or healthcare plan that receives government funding for other services can deny a pregnant woman an abortion that would save her life. It's being referred to as the "Let Women Die" bill.

I'm just asking, here - why do Republicans seem to hate women? Why are they so brutally anti-life when it comes to the life of a woman, but pro-life for her foetus or embryo? The unborn get so much protection from Republicans in government you'd think they were a Wall St corporation.

This can't possibly be a conscience issue for these healthcare providers; surely the life of a woman is important and must be preserved. And a senator says this will stop people going into OB/GYN - well, good. If you're not willing to do the job, if you're not willing to perform abortions, then you shouldn't go into OB/GYN.

And all this bullshit when there are actual problems the House should be concentrating on solving. Where are the jobs? Where is the discussion on debt, taxes? Why, for the love of god, are they not focusing more on providing contraceptives? Why this bullshit?

If you don't like abortion, don't have one. The option of abortion is a moral issue, a moral requirement, and it reflects on how women are valued in a society.

4 comments:

  1. Well put!

    I wish the republicans would get out of our bedrooms- our uterus' and worry about other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting articles. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree. The republican doctrine is all about lack of proper understanding and misogynist pro-abstinence hypocrites masquerading as religious activists. Good grief!

    I'm glad I stumbled across this blog, anyhow! I'm a teen girl who considers myself a self-taught witch. I never really assigned the "witch" label unto myself until recently. I never really thought about what I do in that way, but it's true.

    I was wondering ~ Is the world you access as a hedgewitch similar to (or the same as) what I call the astral plane? When I attempt to go there, I summon vibrations and focus my energy into pulling my spirit out of my body, and getting into a half-awake state. Recently I believe I was summoned there when I was fully awake IN MY OWN BODY, a really frightening experience. I believe it was a warning from the universe to stop dabbling in black magic & trying to access the lower vibrational frequencies.

    If this isn't making sense to you, please just send me on my way haha. But I really do have loads of questions about the astral plane if you are interested in helping explain a few things to me that I am unsure about.

    Thanks!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ariana, nice to see you. I'm going to answer this question in a post of its own as I don't want to crowd up this comment section with something off-topic. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete