Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Books, books, books

You may have noticed, friends, that I have (finally) posted another book review. It is not the promised "ABC of Witchcraft" review (pending). It is scathing - though I tried very hard to highlight parts of the book I found interesting (even if I didn't agree with them), pleasing, or informative. I know that a lot of people got their start in Paganism with Starhawk's Spiral Dance so a book review that awards it only one out of ten is going to smart a few people.

I understand. I've been there. I started off with Theresa Moorey's Beginner's Guide to Witchcraft and followed it up with Silver Ravenwolf's Teen Witch. It smarted to come back to them years later and think "Why the fuck did I enjoy these?", but there we go. At any rate.... if you hold memories of Spiral Dance I would suggest perhaps not reading the review. 

It's also far, far too long, and perhaps one day I'll go through and cut out half the paragraphs where I bitch about a particularly awful segment or offensive quote, but for now, it remains as is. Those who aren't interested in reading through the entire review may be happy to just read the beginning and the summary at the end as a tl;dr. 

I still have the Valiente to finish off - also long, but not quite as long. I have a few pages of notes I've made and I've yet to sit down and decide which parts I want to include as examples of good things (and bad). I very much enjoy Valiente and her writing style. I'm also looking forward to digging into a book or two on Hearthcraft; it suits the season. As always, taking requests and ideas for future reviews. As you can see from past reviews, they tend to be in-depth.


May the season, be it winter on your end of the internet or summer, treat you well. I'm off to get a little exercise, watch the news and then perhaps curl up with a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment