Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Google kindly (and colourfully) informs me that today is International Women's Day! Hurrah!

What does one do on International Women's Day? Poor out a drink for the fallen Suffragettes? Although many of them were temperance campaigners too so they might not actually appreciate that. (That temperance thing can't have helped their case, really.)

It has been about 118 years since women got the vote here. I sort of wish that I'd been more attentive child in 1993 and celebrated. I honestly don't remember a single thing about a century of women's votes. Maybe they didn't actually do anything. That would have been a shame.

It has been 27 years since the women of Leichtenstein won the right to vote. Although apparently it was just a formality since the women made all the decisions anyway? Don't ask me. I was a bit taken aback to discover they had been granted the formal right to vote nearly 100 years after we had, that's all. I suppose it's their business.

When's International Men's Day? I'd like to bake a cake in the shape of a penis. Or penis shortbread biscuits? What would be better? Today, of course, is more the day for boob pikelets. Isn't it Pancake Tuesday as well? Well that settles it!

In other news, there's an FAQ now.

No comments:

Post a Comment